U.S. Nationals Postponed by Rain, To Resume Next Weekend

 U.S. Nationals Postponed by Rain, To Resume Next Weekend 

Event:  58th annual Mac Tools NHRA U.S. Nationals

Location: Lucas Oil Raceway, Clermont, Ind.

Day/Date: Monday, September 3, 2012

The persistent rains which plagued the last two days of the 58th annual Mac Tools U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis, Ind. eventually forced NHRA officials to postpone the event on Monday morning.  Action at Lucas Oil Raceway will resume on Saturday morning, September 8 with the resumption of qualifying, with all professional classes scheduled to receive two additional attempts before heading into final eliminations on Sunday.

Although the original intent was to complete the event on Monday, the combination of a steady drizzle and the discovery that water had seeped under the rubber on the track, requiring a minimum of six hours of track maintenance, led to the decision to delay the event until the following weekend.  As defending U.S. Nationals champion Greg Anderson explains, there simply were no other options.

“We certainly did not want to come back next weekend, but looking at the condition of the racetrack and the forecast for the rest of the day, I support the NHRA’s decision to postpone the event,” said Anderson. “More than anything, however, I feel bad for all the fans that came out the past two days hoping to take in some drag racing.  Hopefully, they will be able to come back next weekend, because it is supposed to be cooler, which means the cars will run a lot faster allowing us to put on a tremendous show.

“This is going to be a hectic week for the Summit Racing team, as we’ll be heading home tonight for a couple days of testing before heading back here to complete the race.  But next Saturday when it’s time for the third qualifying session here at Lucas Oil Raceway, we’ll be ready.”