NHRA® Team Report
NHRA Carolina Nationals – Charlotte
Cruz Pedregon and team are headed to Charlotte with clean runs and a top five qualifying spot in mind. The Snap-on Dodge® El Incursor body will be decked out in The Pink Fund® paint scheme for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the reaction to the car has already been very positive. “We have doing well in Charlotte top-of-mind, but representing the work our Snap-on sponsor is doing in supporting The Pink Fund makes every race in October special for us,” says Cruz, who revealed at the Midwest Nationals that his sister Dora is now two years out from a breast cancer diagnosis. “We very much embrace the pink paint scheme to bring greater awareness to the work of The Pink Fund in paying the non-medical expenses of breast cancer patients during treatment.
“We really enjoy being in Charlotte and want to thrill the great NHRA audience with racing at its best…fast passes on the track and doing good things for those in need off-track.”
Before heading out from the shop in Brownsburg, the team took time to celebrate Hospitality Director Jeff “Gypsy” Mohr’s 60th birthday. Many among the NHRA know Gypsy as a seasoned veteran of the sport having worked with teams dating back to his start with Don “The Snake” Prudhomme in 2003.
On the side of Cruz’s car this week, you’ll see the name of area Nitro Franchisee Gabe Cestaro. Gabe has been on a Snap-on route for the past nine years and just took up his own franchise two weeks ago. He was a luxury car tech for 13 years before working with Snap-on and says he very much enjoys working for himself. When he’s not calling on Snap-on customers, you’ll find Gabe riding motorcycles all around the country. He and his wife Jenna will be here at the track with some of those customers this weekend.
Chevrolet Debuts Mid-Engine C8.R for Next Racing Season
Corvette race car shows off its new colors and clean sheet design built on enhanced technology transfer
BRASELTON, Ga. — Chevrolet begins a new chapter in its storied racing legacy with the introduction of the new mid-engine Corvette race car, known as the C8.R. The C8.R will be Chevrolet’s first mid-engine race car to compete in IMSA’s GTLM class and the first clean sheet race car design since the C5.R debuted in 1999. It will make its racing debut at the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 25, 2020.
The C8.R is based on the strong foundation of the 2020 Corvette Stingray. There is a deeper level of technology transfer between the race car and production Corvette than ever before, which helps contribute to many of its advancements. As a result, the C8.R shares the highest percentage of parts between the production and race car than any previous generation.
“It was important for us to develop the new race car alongside the production car, so that each product could properly take advantage of the new architecture,” said Ed Piatek, Corvette chief engineer. “The benefits of this mid-engine supercar, including its incredible balance and connected-to-the-road feel, will be obvious on the street and the track.”
Continue reading Chevrolet Debuts Mid-Engine C8.R for Next Racing Season
Richard Childress Racing’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series history at Talladega Superspeedway … Richard Childress began his driving career at Talladega Superspeedway in 1969 and is in a tie for the most all-time car owner victories at the storied Alabama-based race track with 12 wins. Dale Earnhardt visited Victory Lane nine times, while Kevin Harvick and Clint Bowyer swept the 2010 events at the 2.66-mile superspeedway. Bowyer added to the Welcome, N.C.-based organization’s total by claiming RCR’s 100th Cup Series win when NASCAR’s senior series visited the facility in October 2011. In 178 starts, RCR also has 5 pole awards, 43 top-five, 71 top-10 finishes and has led 1,843 laps of competition
Continue reading Richard Childress Racing–Talladega Advance
CHEVROLET AT CHARLOTTE
What: NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals
When: Friday, Oct. 11-Sunday, Oct. 13
Where: zMAX Dragway in Concord, North Carolina
TV: FS1 will telecast eliminations and finals live at 2 p.m. ET October 13
Chevrolet drivers seek to stretch points advantages at Charlotte
Midpoint of the Countdown to the Championship vital to title hopes
DETROIT (October 9, 2019) – Chevrolet drivers are 1-2 in Funny Car and Pro Stock standings entering the third of six rounds of the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Countdown to the Championship.
Scoring maximum points in the NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals this weekend at zMAX Dragway in Concord, North Carolina, is vital for Team Chevy teams/drivers to remain championship contenders in Funny Car, Pro Stock and Top Fuel. Continue reading Chevy Racing–NHRA–Charlotte Advance
TEAM CHEVY ADVANCE
OCTOBER 13, 2019
CATCHING UP WIITH CHEVROLET CONTENDERS
Four Chevrolet drivers are among the 12 that remain in contention for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Championship after four of 10 playoff races. Heading into Round 5, here is a look at their start/finish in the last race – on the 1-mile Dover International Speedway oval – the April 2019 and October 2018 Playoff race at the 2.66-mile Talladega Superspeedway oval:
* Chase Elliott, No. 9 NAPA Auto Parts Camaro ZL1
At Dover: Start 5, Finish 38 At Talladega (April 28): qualified 11, finish 1
At Talladega (2018): qualified 5, finish 31
* Kyle Larson, No. 42 McDonald’s Camaro ZL1
At Dover: Start 2, Finish 1 At Talladega (April 28): qualified 10, finish 24
At Talladega (2018): qualified 34, finish 11
* Alex Bowman, No. 88 Nationwide/Amazon Echo Auto Camaro ZL1
At Dover: Start 12, Finish 3 At Talladega (April 28): qualified 9, finish 2
At Talladega (2018): qualified 7, finish 33
* William Byron, No. 24 Axalta Camaro ZL1
At Dover: Start 6, Finish 13 At Talladega (April 28): qualified 25, finish 21
At Talladega (2018): qualified 8, finish 20 Continue reading Chevy Racing–NASCAR–Talladega Bowtie Bullets
POINTS LEADER ROBERT HIGHT AND AUTO CLUB NOT BACKING DOWN AT NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 9, 2019) — Fueled by their recent performance, Robert Hight and the Automobile Club of Southern California Chevrolet Camaro SS team are making their way to the NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals looking to continue their stronghold over the Funny Car class as they fight their way to the winner’s circle for the sixth time this year.
From taking home the first Wally of the season at the season opening Winternationals, to leading the Funny Car class through 18 consecutive events and clinching the regular season championship, Hight is on the threshold of a career best season. And as he heads to the third playoff race in the NHRA Mello Yello Countdown to the Championship back in the points lead with his Auto Club Chevy, he’ll continue his hunt for a third Funny Car championship title. Continue reading POINTS LEADER ROBERT HIGHT AND AUTO CLUB NOT BACKING DOWN AT NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
JOHN FORCE AND PEAK BLUEDEF CONTINUE THE HUNT FOR CHAMPIONSHIP NO. 17 AT THE NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 9, 2019) — Coming off a No. 1 qualifier and semifinal finish at the Midwest Nationals, sixteen-time Funny Car world champion John Force is making his way to zMAX Dragway this weekend for the NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals just 13 points shy of having his PEAK Coolant and Motor Oil BlueDEF Chevrolet Camaro at the top of the Funny Car leader board.
With four races left in the NHRA Mello Yello Countdown to the Championship, including this weekend’s Carolina Nationals, the odds of achieving an unprecedented 17th Funny Car title isn’t out of reach for the Hall of Fame team owner and driver. Continue reading JOHN FORCE AND PEAK BLUEDEF CONTINUE THE HUNT FOR CHAMPIONSHIP NO. 17 AT THE NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
BRITTANY FORCE AND ADVANCE AUTO PARTS EAGER TO GET BACK INTO CHAMPIONSHIP FORM AT NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 9, 2019) — The NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals will mark the halfway point of the NHRA Mello Yello Countdown to the Championship and, with only three events left once the weekend concludes, Brittany Force and the Advance Auto Parts team are more motivated than ever to get back in the winner’s circle as they battle for the Top Fuel championship crown. Continue reading BRITTANY FORCE AND ADVANCE AUTO PARTS EAGER TO GET BACK INTO CHAMPIONSHIP FORM AT NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
AUSTIN PROCK AND MONTANA BRAND / ROCKY MOUNTAIN TWIST CHARGED UP FOR NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 9, 2019) — Rookie of the Year nominee, Austin Prock and the Montana Brand / Rocky Mountain Twist team are headed to the third of six playoff events in the NHRA Mello Yello Countdown to the Championship, the NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals, eager to continue their streak of consistent performance.
The first-year standout is making his way to the midway point of the Countdown sitting eighth in the points standings, only 79 points out of first. With an impressive rookie season that includes one win, four semifinal appearances and a handful of competitive passes including a career best elapsed time of 3.697-seconds and top speed of 334.15 mph, the young driver is showing no signs of backing down. Continue reading AUSTIN PROCK AND MONTANA BRAND / ROCKY MOUNTAIN TWIST CHARGED UP FOR NHRA CAROLINA NATIONALS
CORVETTE RACING AT PETIT LE MANS: By the Numbers
• 1: As in one team, one manufacturer and one model of car for 20 years: Corvette Racing, Chevrolet and the Chevrolet Corvette.
• 3: Generations of Corvette Racing entries at Road Atlanta since 1999 – Corvette C5-R (1999-04) Corvette C6.R (2005-2013) and Corvette C7.R (2014-current).
• 3: Consecutive GT Le Mans Drivers championships for Corvette Racing – Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner (2016); Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen (2017 and 2018).
• 6: Career victories at Road Atlanta for Oliver Gavin – all with Corvette Racing. His first came in 2003 (Grand Prix of Atlanta), and five have come in Petit Le Mans (most among active drivers).
• 8: As in Chevrolet’s small-block V8. More than 100 million units have been sold worldwide and is the most successful engine in American motorsports.
• 10: Number of Road Atlanta victories for Corvette Racing dating back to 2000 – eight of those at Petit Le Mans.
• 10: Petit Le Mans wins for Chevrolet – eight in GT and two in Prototype. That ranks third among manufacturers in event history.
• 12: Manufacturer Championships for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing since 2001.
• 16: Number of GT Le Mans wins in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship for Corvette Racing since the start of 2014.
• 20: Consecutive Petit Le Mans starts for Jan Magnussen, the longest streak for any driver in race history. Teammate Oliver Gavin has made 19 straight starts.
• 23: Drivers who have competed for Corvette Racing at Road Atlanta. Of those, 10 went on to win at Road Atlanta including current drivers Gavin and Magnussen.
• 24: Tracks at which Corvette Racing has won races – Baltimore, COTA, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park/Mosport, Daytona, Detroit, Houston, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Lime Rock, Long Beach, Miami, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, St. Petersburg, Texas, Trois Rivieres, Utah, VIR, Washington DC and Watkins Glen.
• 28: Number of drivers for Corvette Racing since 1999.
• 107: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing – 99 in North America and eight at Le Mans.
• 225: Event starts by Corvette Racing since 1999 following the most recent race at Laguna Seca.
• 33,822.88: Number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing in its 21 previous trips to Road Atlanta. That represents 13,539 laps or more than 525 trips around Interstate 285 – Atlanta’s Perimeter.
• 296,935.88: Total number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing since its inception. To put that in perspective Apollo 13 – the longest manned spaceflight in history – covered “just” 248,655 miles.
Menards/Tarkett Team Ready To Check Out A Transformed Talladega
October 8, 2019
When Eddie Wood, Paul Menard and the other members of the No. 21 Menards/Tarkett Flooring team arrive at Talladega Superspeedway for this weekend’s 1000Bulbs.com 500 they might need a map to find their way around.
Since the NASCAR circuit last visited the track in April, the track has undergone a $50 million “Transformation” that includes a new tunnel under the track, a new Cup garage and numerous infield improvements designed to enhance the at-track experience for fans.
Eddie Wood is one of those long-time members of the garage community that has seen all of the previous upgrades throughout the track’s 50-year history and is anxious to check out the latest. Continue reading Menards/Tarkett Team Ready To Check Out A Transformed Talladega
Motul Petit Le Mans
Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta, Braselton, Georgia
12 p.m. EDT Saturday, October 12, 2019
NBC (12-3 p.m. EDT); NBC Sports Network (5:30-10:30 p.m. EDT)
Additional live coverage on NBCSports.com, Radio Le Mans and IMSA.TV.com
ACURA, HPD AT MICHELIN RACEWAY ROAD ATLANTA
• Acura Motorsports and HPD have won seven times at the classic Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta circuit, including victories in 1990s IMSA, American Le Mans Series and modern-day IMSA competition.
• Acura’s first win at Road Atlanta came in 1991, scored by Parker Johnstone in a solo drive in his Comptech Racing Acura Spice SE90P. The win was the first of three consecutive Camel Lights victories for Johnstone. Teamed with co-driver Dan Marvin, the pair combined for two more Camel Lights class wins in 1992 and ’93.
• From 2011-2013, Level 5 Motorsports also recorded three consecutive Petit Le Mans LMP2 class wins for HPD. Team owner/driver Scott Tucker joined with Christophe Bouchut and Joao Barbosa to win the 2011 event in their HPD ARX-01g. Tucker won again with Bouchut and Luis Diaz in 2012 in their new HPD ARX-03b; and completed the trifecta of class wins in 2013 with Tucker sharing the driving duties with Ryan Briscoe and Marino Franchitti. Continue reading ACURA, HPD AT MICHELIN RACEWAY ROAD ATLANTA
The win is the thing for five-time Pro Stock world champ Jeg Coughlin Jr.
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 8) — Heading into this weekend’s 12th annual NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals at zMAX Dragway, five-time Pro Stock world champion Jeg Coughlin Jr. says this year’s Countdown to the Championship playoff has been so tough that winning races is about the only way a driver can advance.
Coughlin, who jumped from eighth to sixth thanks to a strong semifinal finish in the first of six playoff races in Reading, Pa., was able to maintain that position in Race 2 at St. Louis despite an unlucky quarterfinal exit. But after collecting six overall world titles and 81 national event wins, a sixth-place ranking isn’t what excites the future Hall of Famer. He wants trophies. Continue reading The win is the thing for five-time Pro Stock world champ Jeg Coughlin Jr.
CORVETTE RACING AT PETIT LE MANS: Hoping to Close on a High Note
Team seeking landmark IMSA victory in 2019 finale at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta
• Corvette Racing with 10 victories at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta
• Continued quest for IMSA victory No. 100
• Final race for Corvette C7.R with Corvette Racing
• 2020 Corvette Stingray, Corvette Tour on location in Michelin Raceway Fan Midway
DETROIT (Oct. 8, 2019) – Corvette Racing will close the 2019 season – and the era of the Chevrolet Corvette C7.R – this weekend at a familiar location. Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta plays host to Corvette Racing and the rest of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship for the annual 10-hour Petit Le Mans on Saturday. Continue reading CORVETTE RACING AT PETIT LE MANS: Hoping to Close on a High Note
KING OF THE WEST-NARC SPRINT CARS GEAR UP FOR COTTON CLASSIC
October 7, 2019
(October 8, 2019) Jim Allen, Sacramento, CA … The King of the West-NARC 410 Fujitsu Sprint Car Series will bring their high-stakes championship battle to Keller Auto Speedway in Hanford, this Saturday, October 12th, for the highly-anticipated 34th annual Cotton Classic. This program will also feature the Sprint Car Challenge Tour 360’s and POWRi midgets, in a full show that promises to deliver plenty of exciting open wheel racing action. Continue reading KING OF THE WEST-NARC SPRINT CARS GEAR UP FOR COTTON CLASSIC
Regional title in hand, Troy Coughlin Jr. refocuses on national points race
Pressure remains on D3 points leader Mike Coughlin
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 7) — Just days removed from clinching their second consecutive Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Regional Championship, Troy Coughlin Jr. and the JEGS.com McPhillips Racing Top Alcohol Dragster crew are headed to this weekend’s 12th annual NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals with renewed energy for a final push at the national title.
Across the pits, Team JEGS racer Mike Coughlin, one of Troy’s three uncles, is in a tight championship battle of his own as he fights for the Division 3 Top Dragster crown. Continue reading Regional title in hand, Troy Coughlin Jr. refocuses on national points race
Dominic Scelzi Dominates KWS-NARC Event to Close Gap on Points Leader in Championship Battle
Inside Line Promotions – BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (Oct. 7, 2019) – Sometimes a trip home is exactly what is needed.
Such was the case last Saturday for Dominic Scelzi, who dominated during a return to his home state by winning the King of the West-NARC Fujitsu Series event at The Dirt Track at Kern County Raceway Park in impressive fashion. Continue reading Dominic Scelzi Dominates KWS-NARC Event to Close Gap on Points Leader in Championship Battle
Giovanni Scelzi Records Top Five During National Open Opener
Inside Line Promotions – MECHANICSBURG, Pa. (Oct. 7, 2019) – Giovanni Scelzi produced a top-five finish during the opening night of the Champion Racing Oil National Open hosted by Williams Grove Speedway last Friday.
Scelzi and car owner Bernie Stuebgen qualified third quickest in group action during both nights of the World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series doubleheader, an impressive feat given that approximately 50 of the top drivers in the country were at the event. Continue reading Giovanni Scelzi Records Top Five During National Open Opener
Julie Nataas Doubles Up at St. Louis, Clinches Second Championship for Randy Meyer Racing
Oct 7, 2019 | Featured, Julie Nataas, Race Results
Julie Nataas Doubles Up at St. Louis, Clinches Second Championship for Randy Meyer Racing
The Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series central regional event originally held in Earlville, Iowa was rained-out and postponed to be completed at the St. Louis regional race this past weekend. The Randy Meyer Racing Team, with driver’s Julie Nataas and Matt Sackman, held the number one and five qualifying spots, respectively, and both cars won their first round of eliminations. However, Matt Sackman would go out in the semi-finals while Julie went on to win the event over Dean Dubbin. Continue reading Julie Nataas Doubles Up at St. Louis, Clinches Second Championship for Randy Meyer Racing
CUSTER WINS THE GOLD MONSTER AT DOVER
DOVER, DE – October 7, 2019 – Cole Custer was the golden winner at Dover International Speedway, winning on his 100th NASCAR Xfinity Series career start. The No. 00 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford Mustang won the Golden Miles Monster trophy on the 50th Anniversary of the Dover International Speedway.
“Congratulations Cole, Tony, Gene, and the No. 00 crew,” said Doug Yates, President and CEO of Roush Yates Engines. “Our Ford Performance teams were fast in qualifying, going 1 through 3. Cole drove a great race and his team put him in position to capture the win. It’s great to see all three Ford Mustang drivers in the Playoff hunt and running strong.” Continue reading CUSTER WINS THE GOLD MONSTER AT DOVER